So as I sit here trying to write down everything that’s happened in the past month my head is buzzing with things to write, bits that will help other brides out there and how to get it all down on paper… but for me it’s all a matter of time, (or lack of it!) why is it that the year just seems to be getting quicker and quicker, and now I find myself nine months after Jon’s proposal hitting a wedding wall.
The first three months were filled with wedding shows, blog scouring and collecting heaps of magazines and samples, I bought my dress, the bridesmaids dresses, designed the stationery, chose the venue, sorted the guest list and hotels, booked a pianist, chose the DJ, went to food tastings and did all sorts of pretty DIY bits and pieces but I now find myself in September panicking that there’s so much still to do with no time to do it…before we know it Christmas will be here! But equally I have hit a bit of a wedding wall…has anyone else got that, where so much is planned and there are so many things left to organise (never mind pay for!) but you’re just wishing the time away not really being very proactive?
I spoke to a friend about it who used to be a wedding planner, then I realised it’s the fact that wedding planning is actually a full time job…So it’s about managing time and putting in deadlines for yourself to hit…so I now have a plan and this is how it looks! (It helps that I love making lists…Jon says it makes sense of my crazy head!)
- Finalise invitation designs and get them off to print
- Book a hair dresser
- Go shopping with the mums for accessories
- Make a list of hens for my bridesmaid to contact about the hen do!
- Get the wedding website sorted and live
- Get invites back from the printers and send out to guests
- Design other bits of stationery and pretties!
- Decide on a song for the first dance and a walking down the aisle tune (otherwise Jon will get his way with AC-DC back in black!)
- Have my dress fitting!
- Decide on my headwear
- Make sure the bridesmaids outfits are complete and see if any alterations need to be made
- Decide on alcohol for the toast
(I’m pretty much writing December off….need time to plan for Christmas!)
- Get RSVPs back! Yey!
- Order the food
- Make the favours
- Do pre- wedding photoshoot and have make up trial on the same day (bit cheeky but thinking it’s the only way to tell how the makeup will look on the day!)
- Work out how we’re all getting to and from the venue!
- Have hair trial
- Pay for the registrar and decide on what’s happening during the ceremony!
- Do a moodboard of flower inspiration to take to the flower market with mum
- Buy the boys shirts and ties
- Make sure the swords are ordered for the guard of honour
- Take the sound and lighting experts to have a look around the venue along with my mum (to make sure the buntings the right length!)
- Buy pressies for bridal party
- Help ice the cake
- Go on my hen do!!!!
- Sort out the playlist for DJ
- Pay everyone (gulp!)
- Have my final dress fitting!!
- Week of the wedding!!
- Sort out the flowers
- Get everything to the venue
- Pick up outfits
- Dress the venue
- Have my nails done
Hopefully all the planning will have paid off so I can just arrive and have an absolutely amazing day and jet off on a surprise honeymoon arranged by Jon!
So even though this list looks humongous, Jon was right, it has helped me make sense of my crazy head and now I have a plan! Yey! So even if I don’t stick to it religiously at least I have something to aim for so that the next 8 months don’t just disappear like the last 9!…Though I’m still secretly wishing time to go faster…I’m just too excited and can’t wait for the day to be here! So do any of you lovely ladies swear by lists and is anyone else struggling to plan a wedding as well as hold down a full time job and have a life!?
So now I’ve told you my plan and it’s out there for all to see I guess I need to try to stick to it…otherwise you’ll all know when I’m behind and letting time run away with me again! eek!
So until next month…