Whether you choose to feed your nearest and dearest with a luxury grazing table or a multi-course sit-down meal, someone will have to prepare and serve it. If you’ve chosen a venue that offers a full catering package then that limits the effort on your part, but if you’ve chosen to hire in a wedding caterer then you’ll have a little bit of homework to ensure that both you and your caterers are excited and prepared for the big day. To make this a bit easier, we have compiled a list of the most important questions to ask your wedding caterer and/or venue. Asking these questions upfront and early on will make sure that you find the caterer of your dreams to feed the most favourite people in your life.
QUESTIONS FOR YOUR WEDDING CATERER
The following questions are entirely dependent on which type of wedding catering you would like to have, so feel free to cherry pick those that suit your own situation.
- What are your minimum and maximum numbers?
- How flexible are the caterers with the menus?
- Can we have any cuisine style and menu we like or are we restricted to set menus?
- Do we need to choose a single set menu or will our guests have options to RSVP with?
- Will we be able to taste the food and see how it will be presented before our wedding? And is this included in the cost?
- Are linen, cutlery, crockery, glasses, tables, chairs and service included in the quote?
- Is VAT included in the quote?
- What deposit do we need to pay and when is the final balance due?
- Is there a list of recommended caterers we have to choose from, or can we bring in our own?
- What are the costs associated with bringing in our own caterers?
- Can you set the tables for us?
- Do you need us to hire any extras or equipment?
- If you’re cooking/prepping on site, how much space do you need?
- What is the latest date we can finalise and make changes to guest numbers, menus, dietry requirements and drinks orders?
- Do you provide a cake knife and stand?
- Are canapes included in the quote?
- Do you cater for all dietry requirements?
- What options are available for children?
- Will you provide tea and coffee after the meal?
- Do you offer late night food?
- Are butter, salt, pepper and other table condiments provided?
- Do you source the drinks for us? If so, do we get these at cost price?
- Do you allow us to bring our own wine? If so, is there a corkage charge?
- If we buy our own alcoholic and soft drinks will you chill them for us, and if so, when should we deliver them?
- Does the venue have a cash bar?
- What are the bar prices? (Ask for a sample menu)
- When can the bar be opened on the day, and when does it stop serving?
- What is your staff dress code?
- Will there be a co-ordinator on the day? Who can I contact in case of any issues?
How To Find a Wedding Caterer
With all those moving parts and variables it’s probably wise to make sure your wedding caterer comes recommended. And if you’re at a loss for the best finds in the country, then fear not for we have done all the leg work for you. On our handpicked supplier directory The List you’ll find a smorgasbord of delicious catering options that come highly recommended by Team RMW. You can use the filters to sort by location and cuisine style to help you choose the perfect culinary match for your day.
- Food & Drink Suppliers From The List