If you have a wedding dress that’s been hung in a wardrobe for years, boxed away under a bed, recently partied in or even yet to be worn... you’ve come to the right place. It couldn’t be easier to sell your wedding dress through our Recycle My Wedding platform, here's how to do it in just three easy steps.
WHY SELL MY WEDDING DRESS?
There are so many reasons why selling your wedding dress is a great idea. If it's been taking up space in your wardrobe, hanging sad and unused, just think of it as giving your dress the new lease of life it’s been pining for. You'll also be liberating some storage space for yourself AND pocketing some extra cash for a rainy day. What's not to love? Moreover, you'll be doing your bit to help the planet, as selling a second hand wedding dress typically saves around 9,000 litres of water. Just one of the clever ways to have a low-waste wedding!
WHAT IS RECYCLE MY WEDDING?
It is honestly SO simple to list your dress through our pro-planet, pre-loved marketplace, Recycle My Wedding. It’s not just dresses you can sell either; décor, accessories, stationery... the list goes on. We charge £10 to sell a wedding dress, or £5 to list any other item. 10% goes to Trees For Life, a charity dedicated to rewilding the Scottish Highlands. This is a one-off cost, and we take no commission so you keep 100% of your sale.
STEP 1: SIGN UP
To sell your wedding dress, firstly create a free Rock My Wedding account, which will give you access to your own personal dashboard. Use this dashboard to manage buying and selling on Recycle My Wedding, send messages, view your ‘starred’ favourite articles in one place and keep track of your wedding checklist.
STEP 2: CREATE YOUR LISTING
On the Recycle My Wedding homepage select ‘START SELLING’. This will take you to a simple form to fill out all of the details of your wedding dress. Make sure you have all item details needed before you get started to make the process even smoother. When it comes to selling, the more detail the better! How much you sell your wedding dress for is completely up to you. You can also select your shipping and return preferences there and then. Just like eBay and Depop, we always recommend using PayPal to complete transactions as it’s safer and hassle-free. We do not handle any payments between buyers and sellers.
STEP 3: CHOOSE YOUR PHOTOS
When it comes to selling second hand, photos are everything. We recommend using images of your dress being worn, as these listings sell much quicker. Plus, it’s a great excuse to go through your wedding day snaps! If you’re selling a wedding dress that you’ve never worn, and don’t have an image of it on a model, think of it as a chance to have a bit of fun, dress up and turn your living room into a runway. You only get to list 6 photos, so make them count. We’ve created a handy checklist for you to refer back to; try to have at least four of the below.
- The dress being worn - whether this is on your wedding day, on a mannequin or on a model.
- Good lighting - let your dress shine! Buyers aren’t receptive to dark, gloomy photos.
- High quality photos - if they’re really good we’ll use them on our social media to reach more potential buyers.
- Simple background - you want the dress to be the main focus.
- Full length photos and close ups of any finer details - show off a range of angles.
- Imperfections - if the dress needs repairs, photograph these for full transparency.
TOP TIPS TO SELL YOUR WEDDING DRESS
- Include as much information as possible, it makes all the difference! Think about any interesting or intricate details of the dress. Is it comfortable, or even adjustable? Let people know what makes your dress unique.
- Include information about any wear or tear. Buying a wedding dress is a big decision and buyers deserve to know what they are purchasing.
- Include the dress ‘name’. Brides are often searching for a deal on a specific brand or dress, so this will help you reach more potential buyers.
- Be responsive to buyers. You will be notified when you receive a message from a buyer, getting back to them promptly could help with your sale. Engage with them via the built in message feature, and answer their questions as well as you can.
SIGN UP TO START SELLING
Manage your listings, message buyers, contact sellers and save your favourite articles all from your personal dashboard. It couldn't be simpler to sell your pre-loved wedding items; simply sign up, fill in the form and you're done!CREATE AN ACCOUNT
We love a wedding dress with a story, and some stories are just meant to be shared with the world! The real life sustainable fairy tale of The Travelling Dress made it onto our Instagram, reaching thousands of potential buyers. If you’ve got a dress with a history, we want to know about it! No detail is too small to include. For inspiration, take a look at our current wedding dresses for sale on Recycle My Wedding. Each dress is different, and there’s no set length of time it takes a listing to sell. That’s why we recommend using high quality images and a detailed description to maximise your chances of finding a buyer, as your dress will stay on the site until it’s sold.